Every year in Palm Beach County, there are more than 12,000 vehicle crashes that cause nearly 8,000 injuries. Unfortunately, that means that if you drive or ride in a car in the West Palm Beach area, you have a non-trivial chance of being injured in a car accident.
It’s a good idea to know in advance what you should do if you are injured in a car crash, so you’ll be prepared in case it happens. Or, if you were recently injured in an accident, this blog post will give you tips on what you should do next.
Steps to Take If You’re Injured in a Car Accident in West Palm Beach, Florida
- Call 911. If you or anyone else were injured in the crash, the first thing you should do is call 911 or have someone else make the call. It’s both a legal requirement that a driver involved in a car crash contact law enforcement if there are injuries, and a way for everyone who was injured in the crash to get the emergency medical attention they need.
Sometimes, people who are seriously injured in a crash may not realize it at first. They may be in shock, or the symptoms may not appear immediately. It’s better to be safe than sorry and seek medical attention right away.
- Move to safety, if you can. If you were seriously injured, don’t try to move. Just wait for the ambulance to come. If you are not seriously injured, get out of traffic. Move to a sidewalk or the side of the road. Leave the car where it is unless it’s creating a hazard. Turn on the hazard lights, and turn off the engine.
- Make notes about what happened. If you are able, make notes about what you remember about the accident. Include information about which direction you were coming from and anything you noticed about the other car, such as if it was swerving.
- Exchange information with the other driver. This will include names, contact information, insurance policy numbers, license plate numbers, and driver’s license numbers. Do not say anything to the other driver about who you think was at fault.
- Take pictures and videos of the accident scene. If you’re able, take pictures and videos of the cars from different angles, along with anything else, such as traffic signals, that may be relevant to the accident. If there are witnesses who are willing to give a statement, you can make a video, and be sure to get their contact information.
- Get a copy of the police report. When the police arrive, ask them how you can get a copy of the police report. Also, make a note of the names and badge numbers of all the officers on the scene.
- Notify your insurance company. If possible, contact your insurance company while you are still at the scene of the accident.
- Get medical treatment. If you weren’t seriously injured enough to call 911 at the scene for emergency care, you should be evaluated by a medical professional very soon. Sometimes, people get injured in accidents but don’t realize it, or they are injured more seriously than they thought. A medical examination soon after the accident will help find any injuries so that you can get prompt treatment. It will also help document your injuries, which will be useful when you make a claim.
- Don’t post about your accident on social media. It’s best not to write about the details of your accident or post pictures on your social media accounts until your case is over.
- If you were seriously injured, and the other party was at fault, contact a West Palm Beach car accident lawyer. The amount of benefits that you can receive from your Florida no-fault insurance plan is limited. If you were seriously injured, this will not be nearly enough to compensate for your present and future medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and other losses. Florida law gives you the right to make a claim or file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver if that driver was partially or totally at fault for the accident.
- Don’t accept an offer from the insurance company without talking to a car accident lawyer first. If you were seriously injured, you deserve substantial compensation. Insurance companies may try to make offers that are far less than you need. Seek the opinion of an experienced West Palm Beach car accident lawyer before saying “yes” to any insurance company offer.
An Experienced West Palm Beach Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You Get the Compensation You Deserve
The compensation you recover by filing a personal injury lawsuit can be far more than what’s available from your no-fault insurance plan. An experienced West Palm Beach car accident lawyer at Demand the Limits can guide you through the legal process and fight vigorously for your right to receive the full and fair compensation you need and deserve. We have recovered more than $60 million for people injured in accidents throughout Florida.
We would be glad to answer any questions you have and give you our opinion on what you should do next. For a free case review, call us at 561-600-3555 or contact us online.