Boca Raton Dog Bite Lawyer
Getting bitten by a dog could be an immensely horrifying and traumatizing experience, especially since it could happen suddenly and without any warning. Dog bites can cause:
- Puncture wounds
- Broken bones
- Emotional trauma
- Permanent disfiguration
The path to claiming compensation that you rightfully deserve, however, can be complicated. Speaking to an experienced Boca Raton dog bite lawyer can help you figure out your next steps.
Owner Liability for Dog Bites in Florida
Fortunately, Florida follows strict liability laws, meaning that dog owners can be held responsible for their dogs’ actions. This applies even if the owner didn’t know about the dog’s aggressive tendencies. In addition, dog owners may be found vicariously liable for injuries if the victim was bitten on public property or on private property, as long as the victim was on the private property legally and not trespassing. Injured victims might be able to seek compensation under one of these claims:
- Negligence Per Se: Owners could be held responsible if they failed to observe regulations or statutes that intended to ensure and safeguard public safety.
- Negligence: Owners may be considered negligent for failure to provide an injured victim the same standard of care similar to how other reasonable people would’ve conducted themselves under similar circumstances.
- One Bite Rule: Under Florida law, aggressive dogs must be declared as “dangerous” dogs, and their owners should take specific safety measures and observe strict rules regarding their dogs. Otherwise, they can be held liable for the dog’s actions.
- Intentional Tort: For example, if the owner instructed the dog to bite the victim, and the victim wasn’t trespassing or otherwise harming the owner, the injured victim may pursue a battery claim.
When Dog Owners are NOT Liable for Dog Bites
It’s important to note that, in certain circumstances, dog owners may not be held responsible for their dogs’ actions. These circumstances include:
- If the injured victim intentionally provoked the dog.
- If the injured victim was trespassing.
- If the dog was protecting the owner or other people within proximity of the dog.
Also, if the dog owner has put in place proper and sufficient precautions and warning signs, the owner may not be considered responsible for any damages. On the other hand, an injured victim may still pursue an injury claim, despite applicable limitations on liability. For instance, in cases where the injured victim may be partly to blame for the attack, like if the victim provoked the dog to attack, the damages would be reduced by the level of fault assigned to the victim.
The Boca Raton Dog Bite Attorneys of Demand The Limits are Here to Help
The laws surrounding dog bites and attacks in Florida are complex and establishing the level of fault and liability that must be assigned to a negligent owner isn’t easy. Likewise, the last thing you should be worrying about while you recover is how you’ll pay for all your treatments. Having a skilled Boca Raton dog bite lawyer by your side is crucial to help ensure that you’ll obtain fair compensation for your losses.
At Demand The Limits, we can help injured victims get compensated for medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost income, and other damages incurred in a dog bite attack. Schedule a free claim review with our Boca Raton dog bite attorney by contacting us online or calling 561-600-3555.