Boca Raton Birth Injury Lawyer
According to the CDC, more than 3.7 million babies were born in the U.S. in 2019. Sadly, as many as 20,921 babies die from pregnancy complications, premature birth, and congenital disorders. While the overall birth injury rate is fairly low, some babies really do get injured during childbirth. Also, the death or injury to any newborn is tragic, but it’s usually nobody’s fault. On the other hand, injury or death of a newborn due to medical negligence is considered malpractice because it occurred to someone else’s negligent actions.
If your newborn has sustained injuries due to negligence during childbirth, you’re entitled to compensation. Consult with our Boca Raton birth injury attorney for your legal options.
Different Types and Causes of Birth Injuries
Broadly speaking, birth injuries could occur due to the baby’s position during delivery or labor, the baby’s size, or complications due to the mother’s health. Our Boca Raton injury lawyers have extensive experience with handling the following birth injuries:
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Erb’s palsy
- Bone fractures, including depressed skull fractures
- Meconium aspiration
- Untreated jaundice
- Death or stillbirth
These tragic birth injuries can occur due to the following medical mistakes during childbirth:
- Lack of oxygen
- Failure to recognize and promptly treat fetal distress
- Applying excessive force
- Improper or unnecessary use of vacuum extractors or forceps
- Administering dangerous medications
- Failing to follow up after the delivery
- Incorrect medication dosage
- Failure to perform an emergency C-section
Your Birth Injury Claim
In the context of birth injuries, medical malpractice happens when a medical professional deviates from the community’s medical care standard. In turn, harming the newborn and/or the mother. To prove that your little one sustained a birth injury due to medical malpractice, your claim should show that:
- The attending doctors, nurses, midwives, and/or medical facility owed you a legal duty of care.
- The standard of care required for circumstances similar to your labor and delivery.
- How exactly did the liable parties breach the legal standard of medical care, and how that breach or deviation resulted in the proximate and direct cause of the injuries.
- You and/or your baby sustained measurable damages.
Damages for Birth Injury Claims
The financial benefits you can recover from these damages can help give you and your family some semblance of normalcy and structure following a birth injury, and most importantly, improve your injured baby’s quality of life:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages for a caregiver parent
- Rehabilitation and therapy expenses
- Loss of future income for the child
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Cost of medical or adaptive equipment, such as ventilators, wheelchairs, etc.
The Boca Raton Birth Injury Lawyers of Demand The Limits Can Help
Bad decisions or simple errors by medical professionals could lead to severe or permanent birth injuries. You’re already suffering emotionally from the injury, so you shouldn’t also burden yourself with the costs of medical care from an injury that a medical professional could and should have prevented with proper care. Here at Demand The Limits, we can help you hold the liable parties financially responsible for your losses. To learn more about how you can improve your injured child’s quality of life by filing a birth injury claim, call 561-600-3555 or contact us online to arrange a free consultation with our Boca Raton birth injury lawyer.