Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
The State of Florida consistently ranks among the top three states in terms of the number of registered motorcycles in the state. Florida also has the unwelcome distinction of having one of the highest motorcycle fatality rates in the nation. If you were injured in a Boca Raton motorcycle accident, or a family member was killed in a fatal collision, you may be entitled to compensation for the physical pain and emotional trauma you have endured.
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, victims and surviving loved ones are often faced with physical injuries, emotional suffering, and financial hardship. It can be overwhelming for victims and family members. The Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers at Demand the Limits have the experience, resources, and dedication needed to help you. If another party caused or contributed to the motorcycle accident, they should be held legally accountable and you should be fully and fairly compensated for all your injuries.
Boca Raton Motorcycle Accidents
Boca Raton offers motorcyclists a beautiful coastline and year-round balmy weather, so it should be no surprise that motorcycles are a common sight in and around the city. Unfortunately, the prevalence of motorcycles also means that accidents are all too common. According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV), there were 402 motorcycle crashes causing 27 deaths and 348 injuries in Palm Beach County in 2022. The harsh reality is that when a motorcycle collides with any other vehicle on the roadway, the motorcycle rider is at significantly higher risk of injury given the virtually non-existent protection a motorcycle offers. Per vehicle miles traveled in 2019, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 29 times more frequently than passenger-car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
What Are Some Common Contributing Factors in a Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident?
For a variety of reasons, a motorcycle rider is statistically more likely to be involved in a collision than motorists operating passenger vehicles or trucks. Among the most common contributing factors to a motorcycle accident are:
- Speed. One out of three fatal motorcycle accidents involves speeding.
- Driver inexperience. Figures published by the NHTSA tell us that 30 percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes in 2019 were riding without valid motorcycle licenses.
- Impaired driving. Over 40 percent of motorcyclists killed in single-vehicle crashes were impaired at the time of the crash. Motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes have a higher percentage of alcohol impairment than drivers of any other motor vehicle type, according to the NHTSA.
- Failing to notice a motorcycle. When another vehicle is involved in a collision, failure to notice the motorcycle frequently plays a role in the accident despite efforts to raise awareness of the presence of motorcycles.
- Road conditions. Road conditions can increase the risk of a collision for any vehicle; however, wet pavement, obstacles in the roadway, or inadequate markings can create especially treacherous conditions for a motorcyclist.
Understanding How Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Law Impacts Motorcycle Accidents
Like many states, Florida has a “no-fault” insurance law that requires most motorists to carry a minimum amount of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage. As the name implies, no-fault insurance is intended to cover the insured’s medical bills (up to the statutory minimum of $10,000) without regard to who was at fault in the collision. The no-fault insurance requirement does not, however, apply to motorcycles, meaning that a biker is not required to carry no-fault insurance. Instead, motorcycle riders must carry at least the state minimum liability coverage and if a motorcycle is involved in an injury accident, the victim must pursue compensation through a traditional negligence-based personal injury lawsuit.
In a traditional personal injury lawsuit, an injured victim must prove that the at-fault (negligent) party breached the “duty of care” owed to the victim. In the case of a motorcycle accident involving another vehicle, for example, negligence might be shown by proving that the driver of the other vehicle was impaired, failed to see the motorcycle, or was texting while driving.
What Compensation Might I Be Entitled to for a Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident?
If you were injured in a Boca Raton motorcycle accident, you could be entitled to both economic and non-economic damages from another party if that party’s negligence caused or contributed to the collision. Economic damages refer to objective, out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident and include things such as hospital bills, vehicle repair expenses, and lost wages. Non-economic damages are more subjective and less easy to quantify but are meant to compensate a victim for the emotional trauma, scarring, and mental anguish caused by the accident.
In the case of a fatal Boca Raton motorcycle accident, a surviving parent or child may be entitled to compensation by pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit. Compensation in a Florida wrongful death lawsuit may include the value of lost future earnings, support, and services, loss of companionship, guidance, and protection, and the value of your emotional pain and suffering.
What Is My Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Case Worth?
As the injured victim of a motorcycle accident, you understandably want to know what your case is worth. Only an experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyer can evaluate your case and provide you with an estimate of its value; however, there are several common factors that typically impact the value of a motorcycle accident case, including:
- The defendant’s share of the fault.
- The severity of your physical injuries.
- Your ability to prove the emotional trauma you suffered.
- The limits of the defendant’s insurance coverage and/or personal resources.
Get Help from an Experienced Boca Raton Car Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a Boca Raton motorcycle accident, or a family member was killed in one, the at-fault party (or parties) should be held legally accountable, and you should be fully and fairly compensated for your injuries or loss. To ensure that happens, you need an experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyer on your side. Our motorcycle accident lawyers can help in a variety of ways, including:
- Making sure you locate appropriate healthcare providers.
- Conduct an independent investigation of the motorcycle accident.
- Obtain the evidence needed to substantiate your claim.
- Pursue the maximum compensation possible for all your injuries.
- Negotiate an out-of-court settlement when possible.
- Aggressively litigate your claim in court when necessary.
At Demand the Limits, we know how to handle motorcycle accident cases. Our experienced Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers have extensive experience with all types of motor vehicle accident cases. We fight hard to defend the legal rights of all Boca Raton injury victims. Call (561) 600-3555 or contact us online to schedule your free case evaluation. Don’t delay – the sooner you have an attorney fighting for you, the better protected your legal rights will be.