Where Can I Get a Police Report After an Accident in Florida?

A police or accident report – called a crash report in Florida – contains a summary of the crucial details about motor vehicle accidents that occurred in the state. The report is created by the responding officers and submitted to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

This report will serve as evidence of the motor vehicle accident that you went through. Without this report, it can be hard to prove the events that occurred and which party caused the crash and got you injured. This is why a crash report is among the most useful pieces of evidence that is used to determine liability and fault in motor vehicle accident claims.

The Easiest Way to Obtain a Police Report is Online

The FLHSMV recommends that interested parties request a police report through their online portal for ease and convenience. You will need to pay a fee of $10 plus a $2 non-refundable convenience fee to receive your crash report. Once you have taken the necessary steps, your report will be available to you online right away, and you need to download it within 48 hours. A download link will be sent to the email address you utilized for requesting the report.

Keep in mind that you might have to wait for about 10 days from the accident date for your police report to be available. Likewise, the FLHSMV experiences problems loading police reports from other agencies. This means that if you are experiencing issues when requesting your police report and more than 10 days have passed since your accident, the FLHSMV recommends that you get in touch with the specific agency that created the crash report.

You Can Also Get a Police Report In Person or By Mail

If you’re requesting a crash report within 60 days of the accident date and want to receive it in person or by mail, you need to complete a sworn statement. For an in-person request, you can go to the Florida Highway Patrol Troop Station closest to where your accident occurred. Make sure to bring a valid ID when you make an in-person request for your crash report.

If you prefer to receive your crash report by mail, you can mail your request, sworn statement, and payment to:

Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Crash Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 28
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Your money order or check must be payable to “FLHSMV.” You can receive your police report within four to six weeks of your request.

Get In Touch With a Skilled Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorney Now

If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a Florida motor vehicle crash, contact Demand the Limits as soon as possible. Our skilled Boca Raton personal injury attorneys can talk you through your legal options and how we can secure maximum financial compensation to cover the accident-related losses you incurred. You can call our office at 561-600-3555 or send us an online message to set up your free case evaluation with one of our Boca Raton personal injury attorneys.

Previous Post
Top Causes of Reckless Driving Accidents in Florida
Next Post
Can I Sue My Uber Driver If I am a Passenger Who Gets Injured?

    Recent Posts