In recent years, Uber and other rideshare services have become increasingly popular among those who don’t wish to drive frequently. For most, Uber rides are an incredibly convenient mode of transportation, and the majority of us trust the Uber company to have taken proper measures to ensure our safety. However, sometimes that isn’t enough, as there are no guarantees that your trip won’t end in an accident.
According to Rice University and Chicago University studies, fatal car accidents have been on the rise by 2 to 3 percent since rideshare services such as Uber were introduced. The reality is that utilizing the Uber service may result in a car accident that could cause injury. It’s crucial to speak with an Uber accident lawyer if you have been involved in an Uber car accident and wish to initiate a claim.
Steps You Should Take After Being Involved in an Uber Accident
Should you have been involved in an accident while traveling in an Uber, it’s essential that you follow a few key steps:
- Check yourself for injuries. Even if you can’t see any injuries, it’s important to seek medical attention as these records can assist you should you open a lawsuit against Uber.
- Contact the police and Uber. The police and Uber will want to document the accident, and you should also take your own documentation and pictures of the accident, environment, and license plates.
- It’s vital you get all the driver’s information. Ensure you get the driver’s name, photo, and a screenshot of their profile on Uber.
- Ensure you check the police report. You need to make sure you are listed as a passenger in the Uber. Additionally, make sure to get a copy of the case number so that you can attain a copy of the police report at a later stage.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer so that they can guide you on what your options are and what you should do because ridesharing laws are different from ordinary car accident laws.
What Are the Common Injuries Suffered From Uber Accidents?
Below are a few common injuries that victims suffer after being involved in an Uber ridesharing accident:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and soft tissue damage
- Burns and loss of limbs
- Serious neck and head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
Who Will Be Liable for Your Bills If The Uber Driver Caused The Accident?
Unfortunately, most Uber drivers do not carry commercial car insurance, and their personal insurance policies often refuse to pay for an accident if the driver was carrying passengers for profit. However, Uber is required to carry insurance and cover injuries to passengers under certain circumstances.
If the Uber driver accepts a passenger or was already driving the passenger at the time of the accident, under Florida law, Uber provides up to $1 million worth of coverage. This will cover bodily injury, property damage, and death. If an Uber driver has logged on to the app but has not accepted a passenger as yet, the coverage amounts are different, and if the Uber app was switched off, the driver’s personal insurance would need to be used, not Uber’s.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Boca Raton Today to Discuss Your Uber Accident Claim
Uber accidents can be serious and result in personal injuries. Should you have injuries from an Uber accident, it would be best to contact a Boca Raton Uber accident attorney. It’s important to know what to do and the relevant insurance coverage laws if you have been involved in an Uber accident. At Demand the Limits Personal Injury Lawyers, we can help you understand the claims process surrounding Uber accidents, so contact us today for a free consultation.