What Are the Steps Involved in a Personal Injury Claim?
If you have been harmed by someone else’s negligence, the path toward reaching your fullest recovery can be out of your reach without the compensation to which you are entitled. Because personal injury claims tend to be exceptionally complicated and because the stakes are high, working closely with an experienced Boca Raton personal injury attorney is well advised.
Common Varieties of Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims often break down into the following categories:
- Traffic accidents of every kind, such as car, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, and bike accidents
- Premises liability claims, such as the injuries caused by negligent security and slip and fall accidents
- Boating accidents
- Dog bites
Other kinds of claims, such as workers’ compensation, medical malpractice, and wrongful death, are also based on negligence and are very similar to personal injury claims.
The Elements of Your Personal Injury Claim
As mentioned, personal injury claims are predicated on negligence. The elements of every personal injury claim are the same regardless of the kind of claim, and they include:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care or was responsible in some capacity for your safety. Prime examples include motorists (who owe one another a significant duty of care) and commercial property owners and managers who owe their guests a duty of care that includes reasonably maintaining their properties.
- The at-fault party breached – or failed to live up to – the duty of care owed to you. For example, drunk drivers who turn a blind eye to their responsibility to the safety of other motorists or commercial property managers who fail to timely fix tripping hazards that put their guests at risk breach the duty of care they owe.
- You were injured as a direct result of the at-fault party’s negligence. If, for example, that drunk driver slammed into your vehicle at a stop sign or the tripping hazard caused you to slip and fall, the negligence of the driver or the commercial property owner caused the injuries you sustained.
- You suffered legal damages (or losses). Legal damages refer to economic and non-economic damages that can include medical expenses, lost earnings, and pain and suffering. In your personal injury claim, you will seek compensation that covers the full scope of your physical, financial, and emotional damages.
The Steps Forward
If you have been injured by the negligence of someone who owed you a duty of care, the steps forward include:
- Seeking the medical attention that you need
- Consulting with a dedicated personal injury attorney – who will gather all relevant evidence, build your strongest claim, skillfully negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, and move forward by filing a lawsuit if the insurance company refuses to negotiate in good faith
- Carefully following your doctor’s instructions and advice
Discuss Your Claim with an Experienced Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorney Today
The distinguished Boca Raton personal injury attorneys at Demand the Limits Personal Injury Attorneys are well-prepared and well-positioned to skillfully fight for your rights – in pursuit of your rightful compensation. To learn more, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at (561) 853-2137 to schedule your free consultation today.