Bicycle Crashes Can be Tragic
As of November 2021, there have been 5,410 bicycle crashes throughout Florida, resulting in 5,058 injuries and 147 deaths. 358 of these bicycle crashes and 6 of these deaths occurred in Palm Beach County. One of these deaths involved Neil Goldman, a Vietnam War veteran who lived in Boynton Beach’s Venetian Isles community. He was out on his daily bicycle ride last February in preparation for an upcoming 500-mile ride when a vehicle hit him in Delray Beach.
The driver, a 79-year-old woman, suddenly switched lanes when driving her Lexus on Lyons Road. According to accident investigators, the woman crashed into Goldman when her vehicle crossed over the southbound shoulder. Goldman was thrown off of his bike and landed in a grassy swale along the road’s west side. He was killed at the accident scene.
While pedestrians and bicyclists account for roughly 2% of Palm Beach County commuters, they accounted for about 30% of all motor vehicle-associated deaths from 2018 to 2020, based on estimates by the Palm Beach Transportation Planning Agency.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bikes offer little to no protection to bicyclists struck by vehicles. Even seemingly minor crashes could result in serious injuries. According to an American Family Physician study, the most serious bike injuries and deaths result from crashes with motor vehicles. Also, while musculoskeletal trauma and soft tissue injuries are among the most common bike injuries, head and brain injuries account for most long-term disabilities and deaths.
Common injuries resulting from bicycle vs. vehicle crashes include:
- Head and Brain Injuries – Concussions, skull fractures, brain hemorrhage, brain contusions
- Facial and Eye Injuries – Facial fractures, contusions, foreign bodies stuck in the eyes, dental fractures
- Musculoskeletal Injuries – Multiple strains, sprains, dislocations, fractures
- Spinal Injuries – Spinal cord damage, paralysis
- Chest Injuries – Rib fractures, lung damage
- Abdominal Injuries – Renal contusions, hepatic lacerations, ruptured spleen, pancreatic trauma, traumatic hernia, large or small bowel contusions, vascular perforations
- Genitourinary Injuries – Pelvic fractures, rectal trauma, vulval and urethral trauma
- Soft Tissue and Skin Injuries – Severe contusions, lacerations, abrasions or road rash
Damages Recoverable in a Bicycle Crash
Victims injured in Boynton Beach bicycle crashes might be entitled to seek monetary compensation for the following damages:
- Medical Bills for future, present, and past medical expenses related to the bike accident
- Lost income for the time you missed work because of your injuries
- Pain and suffering damages based on how the accident and injuries have affected your quality of life
- Property damage to your bicycle and gear
- Wrongful death damages
Consult with a Skilled Boynton Beach Bicycle Accident Attorney
Our experienced Boynton Beach bicycle accident attorneys at the Demand The Limits Personal Injury Law Firm know all about the dangers the cyclists face when riding around the Sunshine State. Our law firm is dedicated to holding negligent motorists liable for the serious injuries they cause cyclists.
If a loved one was killed in a bicycle accident, you can also count on our wrongful death attorneys for compassionate legal assistance and representation. Contact us at 561-600-3555 or online to arrange your free consultation.